Friday, April 1, 2011

The Norm!!

Every household in Mombasa cooks this recipe at least once a week or even more. That is what makes living in the coast special. I know for a fact I love this recipe because of the aroma and not to forget that the plain old rice recipe can be tiresome. Wali wa nazi - Coconut rice ...mmmmmmmmhh is loved by so many. It is not just the flavor but the fluffiness of the rice. My mother loved making this recipe with Makaa- charcoal. She would put the Makaa - charcoal at the bottom of her Sufuria - pot and some ontop of the lid. This enhances the flavour. To make this recipe, she had her Tui la nazi - coconut milk stored in gallons, after a recent trip to the farm. Her belief is fresh ingredients equals fresh food. I knew my mother was in a good mood if I got back from school and the aroma of Nazi - coconut greeted me. Oh, good times  ; )))
I hope you enjoy making this recipe as much as I do.


Wali wa Nazi - Coconut rice

Ingredients 

4 cups coconut milk (about 1 can coconut milk and water to bring the quantity up to the four cups)
2 cups rice (I use Basmati rice)
1 teaspoon salt

Procedure

Clean and wash rice. Bring the coconut milk to boil.Now pour in the rice and add salt. Leave to cook on medium heat. When nearly dry, cover and turn the heat to low. Cook for a further 10 minutes.

When using a rice cooker, add all the ingredients in the removable pot and cook. 

 Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment