Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The easy alternative

Mikate ya maji - Onion crepes are the Swahili version of crepes. I was fascinated, by this recipe when I was growing up mostly because it was easy to make and did not require a lot energy. Bear in mind I was also quite clumsy, my motto was that the food goes into your tummy at the end of it all ;))))). Practice makes perfect, remember that. So, when it was my day to make dinner, I was all smiles if my Crepe menu was approved. At home we would make these on a heavy circular Chuma - frying pan. I love these crepes because they are quite easy to make once you get the hang of it. I remember my Ugandan friend/sis back in Scotland would omit the onions,cilantro/dhania in this recipe. Instead she would spread some hazelnut Nutella on her crepes and have them for breakfast. Yes, this recipe brings back many memories.I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.

Mikate ya Maji - Onion Crepes

Ingredients

Plain flour - 2 cups
Eggs - 2
Salt- a pinch
Water - 3 cups
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Onions - 1 cubed (you can use spring onions too)
Cilantro/dhania - A few sprigs cut thinly
Extra oil for cooking





Procedure

Pour the flour in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the Eggs, Salt, 2 cups of the Water, Oil. You can use a stand mixer or a blender. Make sure there are no lumps. Pour your batter in a mixing bowl. Add the rest of the water. Make sure your consistency is not too runny nor too thick. Mix in the cubed Onions and Cilantro/Dhania using a wooden spoon.

Heat a lightly oiled non-stick frying pan. When the pan gets HOT, using a ladle, scoop the batter and pour it into the pan in a circular motion. Spread it all around the pan as thinly as possible. The first crepe does not come out perfectly, but as you go on, they get better. (do not beat yourself up if it does not look perfect).

Flip the crepe, using the back of a spoon, press the top side to ensure cooking. You can add a little more oil if need be. 

Brown both sides. Repeat the process until all the Onion crepes are done.

Use as an accompaniment to meat, chicken or fish. ENJOY!!

**You can omit the onions, cilantro/dhania to make a plain crepe and spread honey or chocolate**








 

2 comments:

  1. I remember the taste! Tell you what, I tried it again today and still tastes as good as I remember from childhood! That recipe is a classic! Thanks Swabs.

    ReplyDelete