Monday, June 13, 2011

A Delicacy of the Island

Ngisi - Squid according to me is one of the best seafood delicacies, whether fried, grilled or made into a curry. I remember at home we would all fight for the biggest piece with my dad. My younger sister reminded me of how we would all try and come up with different types of ways to bribe my dad just so that he would part with his share :)-memories. Ngisi was and still is a popular menu be it dinner or lunch.

Fried Calamari

Ingredients
Calamari - bodies and tentacles,cleaned & cut                                                 
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Ginger powder - 1 teaspoon
Garlic - 2 cloves minced
Chili powder - 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder - I teaspoon
Lemon juice
Oil for shallow frying

Procedure
Place the Salt, Ginger powder, Garlic, Chili powder, Turmeric powder and lemon juice in a large sandwich bag. Drop in the squid and shake around to coat evenly. 
Heat the oil, make sure you drop a tentacle into the oil to see if its hot enough. If it immediately begins to fry, the oil is ready. So when the oil does get hot, drop the squid gently in the oil and let it cook until crispy(a few minutes).
Drain the fried squid on a plate lined with kitchen roll.ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment