Friday, March 18, 2011

The countryside meal.

Every weekend and school holidays my parents would ship us all back to the farm, for some fresh air, fresh food and ample space to run around. As I recall, one of the meals that we would have that I so loved was Muhogo wa nazi - Cassava/Yucca in coconut milk. Preparing the meal, involved choosing the perfect Mti wa Muhogo- Cassava tree, uprooting the Muhogo -Cassava from the ground, washing the soil from the tubers, peeling and cutting it into chunks, and soaking them in water. The coconut milk was gotten from the Mnazi - coconut tree. The Pilipili - whole chillies were picked and washed. The Limau- lemon was picked from its tree, sliced and squeezed. While the ingredients were prepared, the Jiko-stove was erected too. Lunch would be cooked on the outside stove, and dinner would be made in the kitchen. The stove was made of three stones that balanced the big Sufuria- pot and firewood was placed below the pot for heat. For some reason, the stove was actually what made the food flavoursome. OH my, I can still taste that food like it was yesterday! When the call for lunch or dinner was heard, you know for a fact you are definitely having seconds.
I decided to share this meal with you, it is very easy to prepare, enjoy.



Muhogo wa Nazi – Cassava in coconut milk

Ingredients
Frozen cassava/Yucca – 1 pack
Coconut milk – 1 can
Water - 1 cup
Green whole chilli – 3
Garlic – 2 cloves grated or cut into tiny pieces
Lemon – 3 tablespoons
Salt – pinch to taste

Procedure
Take a cup of the coconut milk and set it aside. This will be the thick coconut milk. Now in a saucepan, add the cassava, water, the rest of the coconut milk, green chillies,garlic,salt and bring to heat. Cook on low until almost dry. Now add the 1 cup of coconut milk and the lemon. Cook for a further 10-20 minutes. 
Serve with some fried fish or meat!!
ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. Just joined my first blog group and i can already say I'm loving it ...Let me be the first to thank you for putting up a blog like this as it reminds me and inspires me to go back to my roots and cook good yummmy fooood again even if I dont know how mama sabs will show me the wat thank you ... Nuru

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your support, Nuru. Thank you. Keep the suggestions and recipe questions coming.

    ReplyDelete