Monday, March 21, 2011

The mouth-watering sauce

I received a request from an old friend/sister of mine to include the  Ukwaju - tamarind sauce recipe. I must say I love Ukwaju- tamarind, as a sauce, as juice, in a stew, name it. I shall include all the other ways of using this  in due time. My first post was about viazi vya madonge - Potato balls, Ukwaju is the finger-licking sauce that is used as an accompaniment. For those who are adventurous and love that kick in their taste buds, should try this out!I hope you enjoy this easy recipe.

Ukwaju - Tamarind sauce

Ingredients

Tamarind - 2 packets
Hot water - 11/2 cup
Salt - pinch
Sugar - 2 tablespoons
Whole green/red chilli - 1-2 (depending on how hot you want it to be)
Cilantro/Dhania - A few sprigs



Procedure

Take the tamarind out of the packets and soak them in the hot water. This process helps soften the tamarind, do this for 10-20 minutes. If you had used seedless tamarind then you are ready for the next step, otherwise, remember to remove the seeds and the roots.
Now get a blender and pour the tamarind water, salt, sugar, whole chilli, cilantro and blend. Make sure everything is properly blended. Pour your mixture into a bowl, ready to serve.
ENJOY!

6 comments:

  1. OH WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks so much for this, I've been suffering withdrawal symptoms ever since I left Mombasa and I couldn't find the recipe anywhere, I didn't really know what to google!! ASANTE SANA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome Sean.Glad to be of service. Enjoy the ukwaju! KARIBU :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Binti i love ur blog...i spent my childhood in Coast and i miss those days atleast with the recipes i dont feel so homesick,shukran bibiye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Binti....cant wait to make this , im looking for a recipe that is sold in mombasa ....viazi vya urojo....the ones i found dont come out the way i remember..... I grew up coast ...went to star...primo. nways been long and miss Mombasa and would love to start making this dishes for my family....Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome.Check out my version of "viazi vya rojo" on my blog. Enjoy the cooking. Yes I do get homesick too sometimes :)

      Delete