Thursday, March 17, 2011

The 4 o'clock Snack

So, I started this blog with the hope of sharing my knowledge of the Swahili experience. What a wonderful way to start this blog by sharing my favourite, back in the day, 4 o'clock snack - viazi vya madonge. This recipe has existed from time immemorial. We would be sent to buy this snack from Aunty, (that was the name given to every woman who looked the same age as your mother). This Aunty, had her Karai - a wok, but with two handles, a Jiko -a charcoal stove, and her utensils. She would dip these potatoes coated in batter, right into the hot oil and we would wait patiently. When cooked, she would ask the usual question, of how many we wanted, then pack them in newspaper with the home made chilli and we would be on our way. We could not wait to get home to devour this mouth-watering snack!!!


  I hope you enjoy making it and eating it as much as I do.



Viazi vya Madonge - Potato balls


Ingredients

Potatoes - 6 (I prefer to use the red potatoes)


Chilli paste 
Salt - a pinch depending on your taste buds
Chilli powder – 5 tablespoons
Lime – 2 tablespoons

Batter
Gram flour – 1 cup
Egg – 1
salt – a pinch
Water – 2 cups

Oil for frying

Procedure

Wash the potatoes and put all of them in a pot. Boil them until cooked. (you will know when you insert the skewer or knife easily). Make sure that they do not overcook. Drain and let them cool. Peel them and set them aside.

Now mix the salt, Chilli powder and lime, ensure the paste does not get too runny. Take a potato and cut it into half. Apply the Chilli paste using the back of the spoon and glue it back with the other half. Now cut it, into half. This way you get 2 halves glued together. Continue this process until all the potatoes are done and set them aside.

To make the batter, take a mixing dish and pour the Gram flour. Make a well in the centre. Sprinkle the salt. Crack an egg carefully into the well. Add the water and mix, use a fork to get rid of the lumps or you can use a kitchen appliance to help you mix. You need the paste to not be, too runny nor lumpy. Set it aside.

Heat oil, be careful that it does not get too hot. Put your potatoes that are cut into quarters in the batter and coat evenly, then using a spoon, dip them in the heated oil. Do this for all the potatoes. Make sure you do not overcrowd the potatoes. Turn frequently, until yellow, and take them out. 


ENJOY with some ukwaju (tamarind sauce)

 **Gram flour is flour made from Chick Peas**

6 comments:

  1. Please help a sista out with a good ukwaju recipe... nuru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey found your blog looking for ukwaju recipe:-)))
    I lived in Mombasa for a year and enjoyed viazi karai and ukwaju. I remembered how to make viazi karai (we used to add yellow/orange food color to the batter)
    Where do you buy ukwaju in the US? I saw some tamarind concentrate on amazon.com but I want the real thing. Kindly do tell and Keep the recipes coming.
    Binti wa ukambani:-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats great,Binti wa ukambani :) I bet you loved every minute of it. Ukwaju in the US, I buy it from the Indian Stores, the real thing too.Will def keep the recipes coming. Thanx for the comment! Have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE... just love all your recipes. Now I'm salivating so much I can't wait to get home and try out some of them for my hubby. Like you, I grew up in Mombasa and now that i live abroad I realise how much I took for granted our food culture.

    Do you by any chance also have a recipe for "mkate wa sinia" I have looked all over for this and even tried it out myself (from memory) with disastrous results :) anyway.. it would be much appreciated. Keep the recipes coming... very much appreciated. I can almost smell them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the support.Great we have something in common and I bet you do miss home :)
    I have those "disastrous moments" too sometimes, and I look back and think, why on earth did I not pay enough attention :) Just keep trying out the recipes, it will definitely jog back your memory :) Yes I will include the recipe soon.
    Regards.

    ReplyDelete